Although this article was written primarly for brothers, it also serves as a good reminder for sisters as to what a good Muslim wife should be like.
When I started looking for a wife, my only intention was to find a Muslim woman who could help me become a better Muslim. After praying to Allah (the Mighty) many times, I came to know of a Muslim brother in my area who had an unwed sister. I was told that she was seven years older than I was, had no college education, and had minor health problems. Despite this, I arranged for a meeting to discuss the possibility of marriage.
When I met her, I was impressed by her modesty (she wore a real hijab that covered everything but her face). She was not attractive, nor was she rich. However, at the conclusion of our meeting, I felt comfortable with the fact that she was what I was looking for. After praying Istikhaarah, I felt confident that she was right for me. Our Nikaah (marriage) was performed only a few weeks later.
Oh yeah, this was a Muslim wedding - the kind where the men sit separate from the women; we didn't have disco music or belly dancers or any other kind of un-Islamic stuff. There might have been one brother who was NOT wearing Sunnah. We spent most of the time praying, praising Allah, discussing what a great blessing the responsibility of marriage was, etc. I think the total cost of the wedding might have been around US $20.00 (we held it in my brother-in-law's apartment). I had the time of my life!!!
Despite the fact that she is very stubborn and argumentative, she is one of the best Muslim women a man could ask for. And I am NOT talking about the way she wakes me up in the middle of the night for tahajjud, the way she covers her face in public, the way she investigates every action that I do, the way she will stop talking to me if I don't read the Qur'aan or go to the Masjid every day. I am speaking about her fear of Allah and love for the Prophet Muhammed (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him).
Not bad for a woman some people called ugly, who has no college education or money.
I wouldn't trade this woman for anything in the world.
Many times when the discussion of marriage arises, I will hear one brother after another discussing how beautiful and educated they want their dream wives to be. Others will talk of love or family racial pride.
Fools... (with all due respect).
In case some of you are confused as to why I am mentioning all of this, let me tell you what I know and came to realise (straight up)...
A PIOUS WIFE IS YOUR STRONGEST DEFENSE AGAINST SHAYTAAN
- 11 Tips for Muslim Women Facing Marital Disputes - 13/01/2011 12:22
- Dealing with a Husband’s Short-Temper and Mistreatment - 28/09/2010 09:27
- Habits for Success in Your Family - 13/09/2010 12:15
- Making Your Marriage Work, Even Against All Odds - 13/09/2010 11:02
- Half of your Faith - 06/01/2010 16:06
- Islamic Tips to Help Restore and Maintain Intimacy in Marriage - 06/01/2010 16:01
- How to be a Successful Wife - 06/01/2010 15:51
- Mars vs. Venus - 02/01/2010 17:12
- Beautify Yourself for Your Husband - 16/11/2009 10:54
- The Power of Words - 16/11/2009 10:31
- The Role of a Wife in Islaam - 16/11/2009 10:12
- The Strongest of Bonds - 16/11/2009 10:07
- Serving the Husband - 15/11/2009 22:48
- One of the Most Successful Wives - 15/11/2009 22:41
- That Lovin' Feeling - 15/11/2009 22:30
- Be Like Umm Zar': Speak Well of your Husband! - 15/11/2009 22:20
- Sharing Worries - 15/11/2009 22:02
- An Interview with Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen’s Wife - 15/11/2009 21:29
- Increase Happiness in Your Marriage - 15/11/2009 16:47
- Never Describe Other Women to Your Husband - 15/11/2009 16:42
- How to Make Your Husband Happy - 15/11/2009 16:27
- Finding Bliss in Your Marriage - 15/11/2009 16:11
- Help Your Husband Pray at Night - 15/11/2009 16:05
- Have You Forgotten the Purpose Behind Marriage? - 15/11/2009 15:58
- Encourage Your Husband to Spend in the Way of Allah - 14/11/2009 18:25
- Dealing with the Critical Husband - 14/11/2009 18:21
- Create an Atmosphere of Peace and Tranquillity for Him - 14/11/2009 17:54
- Be a Tolerant and Forgiving Wife - 14/11/2009 17:51
- Beauty Queens Outside and Slobs Inside? - 14/11/2009 17:44
- Are you Cheerful when you meet your Husband? - 14/11/2009 17:40
- A Muslimah’s Eyes Are Only for Her Husband - 14/11/2009 15:43
- A Muslimah Stands by her Husband and Offers Her Advice - 13/11/2009 22:17
- A Muslimah Fills her Husband's Heart with Joy - 13/11/2009 22:12
- A Muslim Woman Keeps Her Husbands Secrets - 13/11/2009 21:55
- A Muslim Wife Must be Strong and Wise - 13/11/2009 21:30
- 10 Tips on How to be a Successful Wife - 13/11/2009 21:23