Sister Rehab el Buri passed away on Sunday 6th of March 2011 at the age of 26. She died due to cancer after fighting a courageous battle against it. A section is pasted below from her blog to reflect upon and is really worth the two minute read.
It took me about three days to accept my death. On the first day, as you read, my mind was in chaos. On the second day, I was numb. And on the third day, my husband and mother began talking sense to me, and I finally came to some important realizations:
1. We are all going to die. The people who took the news of my disease calmly and those who panicked- they are going to die one day too. Death is one of the few realities we can be certain of in this life, and yet we somehow slip into thinking that we are exempt.
2. We live this life for the next. I was living my life as a Muslim...praying and fasting, but I had somehow allowed my real goal in life to be swallowed by buying salad plates for my next dinner party, and trying to get free shipping on my next jcrew order, and finding pillows that popped against my cream sofa. In between being a consumer and entertaining myself to death, I let what really matters in my life slip away from me. If I was truly living my life for the Hereafter, I should not be so fearful of the future I had created for myself. The Quran says, "And this life of the world is nothing but a sport and a play; and as for the next abode, that most surely is the life- did they but know!" [29.64]
3. I am in the same boat as everyone else. None of us are given any guarantees in life. Our health, our wealth, and our families are trusts give to us by Allah- and they are His to take when He, in his infinite wisdom, deems fit. We all claim to believe this, but in practice we often falter. I don't know why I thought I could push the thought of death out of my mind for at least a good 30 or 40 years. Allah (SWT) could claim any of us at any time. I am in the same boat as everyone else- I have no idea when my time is, but I should try to live everyday as if it is my last.
4. Each day is a gift. Receiving this wake up call is such a blessing in that each day Allah grants me is an opportunity to do some more good and try to make up for some of the mistakes I made in the past. For some reason, the mornings are usually a little rough for me. I think it's just waking up from my dreams and realizing that I still have to live with this disease. But every morning I try to tell myself, "Alhamdulilah, I feel good today, what good can I do today?"
These realizations, and the support of my mother, husband, his mother, my sisters, his sisters, my father, his father, my friends, and my community have helped me not merely cope with what I'm going through, but actually seek the reward of going through this trial, and try to sincerely accept what Allah wills for me.
- To Die While Saying The Shahaadah - 14/01/2013 17:19
- Death, an indispensable reality - 01/01/2012 10:26
- Specific Punishments in the Grave (23) - 09/10/2011 17:49
- The Disbeliever, Hypocrite and Evil Soul Answers (22) - 09/10/2011 16:07
- The Righteous Soul Responds (21) - 09/10/2011 14:21
- The Return and the Squeeze (20) - 09/10/2011 13:47
- Indications of a Good End - 07/08/2011 16:56
- A Hellish Unwelcome for the Evil Soul (19) - 03/08/2011 20:54
- Finally Free (18) - 27/06/2011 12:57
- The Angels Present at the Time of Death (17) - 27/06/2011 12:37
- Satan’s Last Chance and Presence at the Time of Death (16) - 17/06/2011 18:25
- Your Temporary Visa Will Soon Expire (15) - 17/06/2011 17:58
- Remembrance, Even While the Soul Exits (14) - 10/06/2011 19:53
- The Stranger is Not - 29/05/2011 12:33
- Can You Smell Something Fishy? (13) - 28/05/2011 16:07
- Towards the Heavens (12) - 28/05/2011 15:55
- The Reality of the Soul (11) - 26/05/2011 15:48
- The Barzakh (Barrier): A Transitional Stage (10) - 24/05/2011 20:29
- Special Bodies Which Don’t Decompose (9) - 20/05/2011 18:50
- Decomposition (8) - 15/05/2011 17:48
- Moved by Simplicity of Royal Funeral, Priest Embraces Islam - 11/05/2011 13:06
- The Prophets and the Shuhadaa' Remain Alive With Allah - 11/05/2011 08:51
- Mud Over You (7) - 09/05/2011 15:03
- Miracles of the Martyrs - 06/05/2011 14:29
- Towards Your New Home...Underground (6) - 02/05/2011 20:37
- Just Close Your Eyes and Imagine... - 22/06/2010 10:55
- Your Funeral Prayer (5) - 07/12/2009 20:09
- Prepare For Death - 27/11/2009 10:48
- Signs of a Good End - 27/11/2009 10:29
- Just Before The Funeral (4) - 25/11/2009 16:42
- Inaudible Pleas (2) - 03/11/2009 16:53
- A Bath Unlike Any Other (3) - 03/11/2009 16:52
- The Painful Separation (1) - 03/11/2009 16:46