- 1 cup white flour, maida,
- 1/2 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda,
- 1 tablespoon yogurt, beaten,
- 2/3 cup water,
- Few drops of jalebi (orange red) colour.
- 1 & 1/2 cups sugar,
- 1 & 1/2 cups water,
- Oil for deep frying.
1. Sieve flour and bicarbonate of soda together in a bowl. Add yogurt, food color and water. Whisk to a smooth batter. The consistency should be like thin pancake batter. Add little more water if necessary. Leave aside to rest for about 5 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Put sugar, water and cardamoms in saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Boil rapidly for about 2-3 minutes or until a thick syrup has formed.
3. Heat ghee or oil in a deep frying pan or karahi to 170C or 325F. Pour batter in polythene bag or in a muslin cloth and hold it like a piping bag, make about 3mm hole at the base. Pipe jalaibi shape (pretzel shape) into hot oil. Fry both sides for about 3-5 minutes or until crisp.
4. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on absorbent kitchen paper and then place in the hot syrup for 3-5 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to serving dish.
5. Serve warm with green tea or warm milk. Serve Immediately.
• Serves: 6 People.
• Preparation Time: 15 minutes.
• Cooking Time: 30 minutes.