- 2 Cups Rice (450 grams rice, Pakistani basmati)
- 1 whole chicken cut into 8 pcs,
- 10 cloves,
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns,
- 2 inch piece cinnamon stick,
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds,
- 6 large black cardamoms,
- 1 teaspoon cumin, white,
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped,
- 5 garlic cloves,
- 2 inch piece ginger cut into pieces,
- 1/2 cup ghee or oil, 1
- large onions skinned and thinly sliced,
- 1 teaspoon black cumin seeds,
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste,
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste.
1. Wash chicken thoroughly under cold water tap. Place the meat, 5 cloves, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 cinnamon stick, coriander seeds, 3 cardamoms, white cumin, 4 cups water, onion, garlic, ginger and 1 teaspoon salt in a large heavy based saucepan.
2. Bring it to a boil and skim off any scum that rises to the top. Reduce the heat, cover and boil gently for 10 minutes until the meat is tender.
3. Meanwhile, put the rice in a sieve and wash it thoroughly under running cold tap until the water runs clear. Soak in plenty of water for 30 minutes. Drain in a sieve and let it stand for a minute or two.
4. Strain the meat and the spices. Reserve the stock. Discard the spices by taking out the meat pieces from it.
5. Heat ghee or oil in a heavy based saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and stirring frequently, fry to a golden color.
6. Add 5 cloves, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 cinnamon stick, 3 cardamoms and 1 teaspoon black cumin, stir fry for few seconds.
7. Add meat, ginger and garlic. Stirring frequently, fry this over medium heat for 5 minutes until the meat turns to a golden color.
8. While the meat is cooking, measure the stock, it should be 3 1/2 cups. If it is less, add more water to make it to require. Boil the stock, add 1 teaspoon salt and rice in it and parboil for 5 minutes, adjust the seasoning with salt.
9. Carefully add the browned meat mixture into the rice and stir gently to mix. Cover with a tight fitting lid, reduce heat to very low and cook for another 10-15 minutes until rice is tender. Fluff up the rice with a fork and then transfer it into to a serving dish.
• Serves: 6 people.
• Preparation Time: 20 minutes.
• Cooking Time: 30 minutes.