You will need
- ½ cups lime juice
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp achiote seeds, equal parts turmeric and paprika
- 2 tsp allspice berries
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp whole black peppercorns
- ½ cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1/2 in thick slices
- 2 onions, cut into 1/2 in. wedges
- 3 sprig of fresh oregano
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Soak the skewers in cool water for 30 minutes.
Blend the lime juice, garlic, achiote seeds, allspice berries, oregano, salt and peppercorns in a blender until smooth.
Gradually add the olive oil to the mixture as the blender is running to create an emulsion.
Assemble the skewers with 3 shrimp, 3 pineapple wedges, and 2 onion pieces and transfer to a shallow pan.
Add three sprigs of fresh oregano to the pan of skewers once they are finished being assembled. Pour the achiote paste over the skewers evenly and marinate for 1-3 hours.
Prepare a charcoal grill to high heat.
Place the skewers on the grill and cook about 3-4 minutes a side.
Serve with a squeeze of lemon.