- 1 kilogram mutton or chicken,
- 750 grams rice, basmati,
- 500 grams potatoes,
- 500 grams tomatoes, diced,
- 250 grams yogurt ,
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder,
- As per taste salt,
- 2 medium onion sliced,
- 3 tablespoon garlic (crushed),
- 2 teaspoon ginger (crushed),
- 10 whole green cardamoms,
- 4 whole black cardamoms (bari Iliachi),
- 10 cloves,
- 10 pieces black pepper,
- 1 inch piece cinnamon stick,
- 1 teaspoon zeera,
- 2 bay leaves (taze patta),
- 10 whole dried plums (aaloo bukharay),
- some ghee or cooking oil,
- 6 pieces green chillies,
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves, fresh,
- 2 tablespoon mint leaves,
- 1 or 2 drops kewra,
- 3 drops yellow food color,
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala,
- 1/2 cup ghee or oil.
1. Marinate meat with garlic, ginger, salt, chili powder and garam masala for half an hour.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil or ghee in a heavy based sauce pan and fry onions for 5-10 minutes to a golden brown. Remove onions from oil and stir into the yogurt. Rub this yogurt all over the marinated chicken cover and put in a cool place for at least an hour.
3. Reheat the oil, add the meat along with the marinade and all of the whole spices, and stirring frequently, fry the meat 5-10 minutes. Add 12 cup water, cover and cook over low heat. When meat is half cooked, add potatoes and cook over low heat.
4. While the meat is cooking, prepare spice water. In a small saucepan, put 1 1/2 cups water, 1 teaspoon black pepper corn, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon cloves, 2 tablespoon coriander seeds, 2 tablespoons aniseeds, 12 teaspoon ground nut meg, 12 teaspoon mace, 12 teaspoon sandal bura (optional), 3-4 large cardamoms, 1 tablespoon green cardamoms, 3 bay leaves. Place the saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil, reduce heat to very low, cover and cook until the mixture reduced to 3/4 cup.
5. Wash and soak rice in water for half an hour. In another pan boil rice with 2-3 teaspoon of salt and plenty of water. When rice is 12 cooked drain water, add 14 cup oil or butter and fluff with a fork to prevent the rice from sticking. Keep rice to one side.
6. In a large pan place 2 inch layer of rice at the bottom, then a layer of meat, tomatoes, and dried plums on top, repeating this until the meat and rice have been used up. Sprinkle coriander and mint leaves over the top layer of the rice. Pour spiced water and kewra over the rice. Do not stir. Mix the food color with a little water and sprinkle over the rice.
7. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook on medium heat for about 4-5 minutes to produce steam, then lower the heat to very low and cook for 20 minutes until the rice is tender.
8. Once the dish is cooked, leave it covered for a few minutes. Remove the lid, fluff up the rice with a fork and transfer to a serving dish.
9. Serve with Raita and green salad.
• Serves: 6 people.
• Preparation Time: 20 minutes.
• Cooking Time: 30 minutes.