- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dane),
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek leaves, dried,
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji),
- 1 teaspoon cumin (zeera powder),
- 1 teaspoon aniseed (saunf),
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi),
- 5 whole red chilies,
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt,
- 1 teaspoon chili powder,
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice,
- 6 green chillies, slit lenghtwise,
- 1 1/2 cup oil,
- 2 medium onions cut in thin slices,
- 1 1/2 kilograms mutton or chicken,
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste,
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste,
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt, whisked,
- 1 cup water.
1. In a small bowl, combine fenugreek seeds, fenugreek leaves, nigella seeds, cumin seeds, aniseed, turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, red chili powder, crushed whole red chilies. Mix well. Mix 2 teaspoons of spices with lemon juice and fill into green chilies.
2. Heat oil in a medium skillet, add onions and sauté until the edges are brown about 5-8 minutes. Add meat, garlic and ginger, stirring constantly fry until meat turns brown, about 5 minutes.
3. Add yogurt and remaining salt. Mix well and stirring constantly, cook until water from yogurt has evaporated and oil begins to separate.
4. Add water, cover and cook over low heat until meat is almost tender. Add rest of the spices and little water, if needed. Mix well.
5. Place spice filled green chilies over meat, cover and cook on low heat, until meat is tender and oil separate from gravy, about 5 minutes.
6. Serve with Nan.
• Serves: 8 People.
• Preparation Time: 15 minutes.
• Cooking Time: 40 minutes.