- 1 medium cauliflower
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 3 green chilies chopped.
1. Remove the stalk of cauliflower and break the rest into medium sized flo rets. Peel and cut the potatoes into small cubes. Keep the vegetables in cold tap water.
2. Peel and cut ginger into thin slices. Then cut the slices into thin strips.
3. Heat oil in a pan add onions and fry for 5 minutes, until transparent but not brown. Add ginger, stir once then add salt, chili powder, turmeric, ground coriander seeds and 3-4 tablespoons of water to prevent the spices from burning. Fry the onion mixture for 3-5 minutes.
4. Add potatoes and cauliflower. Stir the contents until the spices coat the vegetables well. Add water, cover and cook over low heat for about 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and damp dry. Add little more water if the vegetables are still raw.
5. Add garam masala, coriander leaves and green chilies, Stir gently and transfer to serving dish.
Serve with chapati or paratha and mixed pickle.
Serves: 4 people.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes.
Cooking Time: 30 minutes.