He is ash-Shaykh al-Qurraa’ wa al-Muhadditheen, wa al-Imaam Ahl al-Adaa’ wa al-Mujawwideen, Shaykh ad-Dunyaa fee al-Qiraa’at wa al-Tajweed, al-‘Allaamah al-Haafidh Muhammad ibn Muhammad ibn Muhammad ibn ‘Ali ibn Yusuf ibn al-Jazari; Shams al-Deen Abu al-Khayr al-Dimishqi ash-Shaafi’i (rahimahullaah).
He was born in Damascus (Syria) in a place called Khatt al-Qassaa’een, on the night of al-Jumu’ah, 25th Ramadhaan 751AH, after Salaat at-Taraweeh.
The Imaam describes himself in his famous nadhm (poem) in ‘Ilm at-Tajweed (Science of Tajweed), al-Muqaddimah al-Jazariyyah (al-Muqaddimah feemaa yajibu ‘alaa qaari’ al-Qur’aan an-ya’lamah) as ‘Imaam al-Jazari’. ‘Jazari’ is a location in the Kurdistan/Turkmenistan/Iraq region. He belongs to a place called Ibn -‘Umar and the ‘ulamaa say that he has Kurdiy asl (Kurdish origins).
Imaam al-Jazari’s father was a taajir (a businessman) and Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta'aalaa) had not granted him any children for a period of 40 years. So his father decided to go and perform al-Hajj, where he went and drank from the water of Zam-Zam and made du’aa to Allah to give him a child who would become an ‘Aalim. And so Allaah accepted this du’aa and granted him with a son, who became the great Imaam ibn al-Jazari.
He grew up in Damascus, where he completed memorising the Qur’aan by the age of 13 years, and he began leading as-Salaat at-Taraweeh at the age of 14 years. He was from a wealthy family. He was described as being very light in his complexion and very eloquent in his language.
He acquired his knowledge from various places including Shaam (Syria), Misr (Egypt) and Hijaaz (Makkah/Madinah). The Imaam studied the Qiraa’aat ifraadan (which means he recited one khatmah for each Qiraa’ah e.g. one khatmah for Warsh, one khatmah for Hafs etc) and also jam’an (which means he completed a khatmah, combining the Qiraa’aat). He studied many books including the famous at-Tayseer of Abu ‘Amar ad-Daani and also ash-Shaatibiyyah of Imaam ash-Shaatibi. He was not just a scholar in Qiraa’aat but also other ‘Uloom (Islamic Sciences) such as Hadeeth, Fiqh etc.
His teachers include:
- Shaykh ‘Abdul-Wahhaab ibn as-Sallaar
- Shaykh Ahmad ibn Ibraahim at-Tahhaan
- Shaykh Ahmad ibn Rajab
- Shaykh Abu al-Ma’aalee ibn al-Labbaan
- Imaam al-Jundi
- Imaam as-Saa’igh
- Imaam al-Baghdaadi
- Imaam al-Qarawee
Imaam al-Jazari was appointed as a Qaadhi (Judge) of Damascus and also Shiraaz in Iran. He built two schools called Madrassah al-Qurra’ in these places. He then sat in Masjid Bani Umayyah, al-Jami’ al-Amawee underneath al-qubbat an-nasr (the Dome of the Eagle), and after his teacher ash-Shaykh as-Sallaar passed away, he took the position of teaching the people from that place.
He passed away in the year 833AH and is buried in Shiraaz (Iran).
- Ibn Jareer At-Tabari - 01/11/2012 09:53
- Imaam Baqee Ibn Makhlad al-Andaloosi - 18/10/2011 14:01
- Imaam Muslim - 05/09/2011 19:58
- My Three Years With Shk. Abdullah Ibn Ghudayaan - 29/06/2011 09:36
- Imaam az-Zuhri - 28/06/2011 10:07
- Ibn al-Mundhir (Abu Bakr Ibn al-Mundhir) 241 A.H - 318 A.H - 24/06/2011 12:07
- Ishaq bin Rahwayh / Ishaaq ibn Raahawayh (163 - 238 Hijri) - 22/06/2011 14:25
- The Life of the Four Imaams (Audio Series) - 21/11/2010 10:07
- Al-A’mash: One Interesting Character - 15/10/2010 19:35
- Ibn Qudamah al-Maqdisi - 07/10/2010 14:24
- Imaam Abu Hanifah An-Nu`man - 06/09/2010 21:23
- Al-Izz Ibn Abdus-Salam - Sultan of the Scholars - 06/09/2010 21:17
- Silah ibn Ashyam - 06/09/2010 20:57
- Abdullah Ibn Zubayr Al Humaydi - 06/09/2010 20:53
- Abdullah Ibn Yusuf At-Tanyisi - 06/09/2010 20:51
- Imam Ibnul Qayyim al Jawziyyah - 03/09/2010 02:13
- Muhammad al-Ameen ash-Shanqeetee - 03/09/2010 01:52
- Muhammad Ibn Abdul Wahhaab - 22/08/2010 21:21
- Imaam Shafi’ee Visits Imaam Ahmad - 16/07/2010 15:14
- Ibn Hazm al-Andalusi: “My aspiration in this world…” - 16/07/2010 15:08
- Naafi' Ibn Abi Nu'aym - 08/06/2010 18:09