- 1 package filo pastry sheets
- 4 cups chopped walnuts or pistachios
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup honey
1. In a heavy saucepan combine all ingredients for honey syrup and bring to a boil over medium heat. Continue to boil for 5 minutes.
2. Take from heat and let cool. Preheat oven to 350F.
3. Butter a 9" x 13" glass pan.
4. Combine nuts, sugar and spices in a bowl, set aside.
5. Melt butter. Layer half of the filo dough sheets one at a time onto glass pan, brushing each sheet with melted butter.
6. Pour nuts mixture over dough and continue layering remaining filo sheets as before.
7. Cut into 2" diamonds.
8. Bake 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 225F and bake an additional 30 minutes.
9. Pour cooled syrup over warm pastry.
10. Let stand at least one hour before serving.