- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Oil for frying (canola or vegetable)
1. Combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper (to taste) in medium bowl. Add baking powder.
2. Mash chickpeas, ensuring to mix ingredients together. You can also combine ingredients in a food processor.
3. The result should be a thick paste.
4. Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. Slightly flatten.
5. Fry in 2 inches of oil until golden brown (2-5 minutes).
Note: Serve falafel by itself, or with hot pita bread with vegetables, hummus, or tahini sauce.