*Very good for an upset stomach
- 1 12 cup rice, Pakistani basmati,
- 12 cup dal moong,
- 5 cloves,
- 1 teaspoon black pepper,
- 1 inch piece cinnamon stick,
- 3 large cardamom,
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, zeera,
- 2 teaspoon salt,
- 1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced,
- 12 cup ghee or cooking oil.
1. Put the rice and dal in a sieve and wash it thoroughly under running cold tap until the water runs clear. Soak in plenty of water for about 2 hours. Drain in a sieve and let it stand for a minute or two.
2. Heat the ghee or oil in the heavy base pan and add the onions, stirring frequently fry to a pale golden color. Add the all spices, fry for 1 minute. Add rice, lentil and salt and level with a spatula.
3. Add enough water to cover the rice by about 1 to 2 inches. ( The amount of water depends on, how mushy the rice you want.)
4. Cover with a tight fitting lid, reduce the heat and allow to cook for about 20 -25 minutes or until rice is very tender and mushy.
Transfer it to a serving dish and add butter to it, butter will melt with the heat of the rice. Serve immediately.
• Serves: 4 people.
• Preparation Time: 20 minutes.
• Cooking Time: 30 minutes.