The spices used in this recipe are the same as for preparing pickles. Nigella seeds fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds, give the potatoes a sour taste like pickle.
- 1\2 kilogram potatoes
- 1\2 cup oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1\4 cup water
- 1\2 cup yogurt
- 1\4 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon salt , 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1\2 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 1 level teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dane)
- 1 level teaspoon mustard seeds (rai or sarson)
- 3-4 green chilies fine chopped.
1. Boil the potatoes with their skin until they are tender but still retain their shape, peel and cut into small cubes.
2. Heat oil in a heavy skillet and sauté onions till light brown.
3. In a blender or food processor blend onion, water and yogurt to a puree. Put the onion mixture back to the skillet, add turmeric, salt, chili powder, kalonji, methi dana and rai. Stirring frequently fry for 5-8 minutes until oil begins to separate.
4. Add potatoes and green chilies. Stir well, cover and cook for 5 minutes so the potatoes absorb some of the sauce. (Add more water if necessary).
5. Serve with Poori.
Serves: 4 People.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes.
Cooking Time: 25 minutes.