- 1/2 kg basin (gram flour),
- 1/2 kg whole wheat flour,
- 1/2 cup oil,
- 2 teaspoon salt,
- 2-3 teaspoon chilli powder,
- 6 whole red chili,
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves, chopped,
- 4 green chilies fine chopped,
- 3 tablespoon dried pomegranate seeds, crushed,
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds, zeera,
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds,
- 2 medium onion, finely chopped,
- Oil for frying.
1. Put all dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Make a slight well in the centre and add oil. Using finger tips, mix it into the flour. Add water a little at a time and knead into a soft pliable dough. Knead it thoroughly for several minutes until smooth. Cover with a damp cloth and leave to rest for at least 30 minutes.
2. Divide the dough into 12 equal parts. Roll each into a smooth ball. Then roll each ball into a round of about 6 inches.
3. Heat up a tava, heavy frying pan or a griddle. Test the heat by sprinkling a little dry flour on the surface. The temperature is correct when the flour burns immediately. Wipe the tava with kitchen tissue.
4. Carefully place the round of dough on hot tava. Allow to cook for a minute then turn it over. Smaer a little ghee on the top and then turn it over after a minute. The top side now will have small brown spots. Smear a little ghee on the top and on the surface of tava along the edges of roti. Turn it over again and repeat the process of smearing oil until the both sides are cooked and crisp.
5. Remove from pan, smear with ghee and serve at once. Repeat with remaining dough.
6. Serve with yogurt or Raita.
• Serves 6 people.
• Serve Hot
• Preparation Time: 30 minutes.
• Cooking Time: 30 minutes.