Time: 1 hour plus 40 min
Yields: 4 servings
Tools: small bowl, large mixing bowl, pie tin
MY family absolutely adores this golden bread filled with cheese and covered with sugar syrup. This is bread that you will find served in many Saudi and other Arab homes. These superb rolls have a slight sweet taste and are filled with cream cheese; we use Kiri then topped with sugar syrup or honey. You can even sprinkle black sesame seeds on the bread before baking for another great flavor.
- 1 cup + 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- dash of salt
- cream cheese
- egg white
1. In a small bowl add yeast, 1/2 teaspoon of yeast and water, stir. Allow to sit for 5 minutes until frothy.
2. In a large mixing bowl add flour, sugar, butter, yeast mixture, salt. Add egg and milk a bit at a time until a dough consistency has formed. Form a ball, oil hands and apply all around dough ball not working into. Place into bowl, cover with a towel and place in a warm place for at least an hour.
3. Pre-heat oven to 350F. Meanwhile, ball dough into small balls the size of a large egg. Shape into a bowl and stuff with a heaping teaspoonful of cream cheese. Form back into a ball. Place balls in a greased pie tin touching one another. Cover with a towel and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
4. In a small bowl mix egg white with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush on top of bread. Place bread into oven and cook until golden, 25 minutes. Drizzle sugar syrup or honey on top of bread.
Serve with: chai, qahwa