- 5 Tablespoon vegetable oil,
- 2 Cinnamon sticks,
- 6 garlic cloves,
- 1 Tablespoon cardamom seeds,
- 1 large onion chopped,
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed,
- 1 1/2 inch fresh ginger,
- peeled and chopped,
- 1 1/2 lb lean lamb, cubed,
- 1 1/4 cup yogurt (plain),
- 1 tsp saffron threads,
- soaked in 2 Tablespoon boiling water,
- 1/2 tsp chili powder,
- 1/2 cup ground almonds,
- 1 tsp salt,
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk,
- 2 dried red chillies.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan.
- Add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom and fry for 1 minute.
- Add onion, sauté until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and ginger and fry for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add lamb cubes and fry until brown, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk yogurt, saffron mixture, salt and chili powder together and add to lamb cubes.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Grind almonds with enough water to form a thick paste.
- Add paste and whole chillies to lamb cubes, stir well to mix paste with gravy.
- Simmer for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Add coconut milk, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until lamb is cooked through and tender.
- Uncover the pan for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Transfer to a warmed dish and serve at once.
Serves: 6 People.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes.
Cooking Time: 60 minutes.